‘Never flagged as danger, traveled unimpeded’: All you need to know about the Paris church attacker

‘Never flagged as danger, traveled unimpeded’: All you need to know about the Paris church attacker. The man behind the Paris church attack in France that killed three people, used to have small-time run-ins with the law as a teen.

In any case, the 21-year-old Tunisian did nothing that alerted authorities in Tunisia to possible extremist leanings, reported Associated Press.

Paris church attacker was expelled from Italy

As per the report, the Paris church attacker Ibrahim Issaoui was served an expulsion order from Italy, which he reached illegally by boat. After that, he traveled apparently unimpeded to France.

Italy’s interior minister, Luciana Lamorgese, told The Associated Press on Friday that Issaoui had not set off warning bells with Tunisian authorities or intelligence services.

She added that Italy’s overburdened repatriation centers had no place for him, despite agreements with Tunisia governing the return of citizens who don’t meet all requirements for refuge in Italy.

“Obviously, we offer precedence to people who are signaled by law enforcement or by Tunisian authorities,” Lamorgese told AP.

“The number of spots are not infinite, and he could not therefore be placed inside a repatriation center.”

The spokesperson for Tunisia’s anti-terrorism prosecutor’s office, Mohsen Dali, said Issaoui isn’t classified just like a terrorist element to the security and legal authorities.

“During his teenage years, he was involved in common law cases for violence,” he told AP, without elaborating.

He led a normal life, says mother

Issaoui’s mother told investigators that he led a normal life for someone of his age, Dali said. He drank alcohol and wore common clothes. He started supplicating two years ago, but didn’t have any suspicious associates, he said, according to AP.

According to Tunisian media, Issaoui grew up in a family of 10 children in Sfax, an important economic hub in southern Tunisia, and worked as a technician in a workshop for a monthly compensation of 300 dinars (under 100 euros). He then opened a vegetable stall in a shop that also sold gasoline illegally, Dali told the AP.

He decided on September 14 to try to enter Italy illegally, having failed in a previous attempt. He arrived in Italy’s southernmost island of Lampedusa on September 20, and was transferred to Puglia, where he was quarantined for the coronavirus on a ship with some 800 other migrants. His expulsion order was dated October 9.

“Then we know he remained in Italy a couple of more days, then went on his approach to France,” Lamorgese said, adding that it was not clear when he crossed the border.

“The French border controls are very serious, but evidently this time he slipped through and managed to enter French territory.”

He is believed to have traveled first to Paris, with Tunisian officials saying he arrived in Nice the day preceding the attack. Authorities in both Italy and Tunisia are cooperating with France on the investigation.

Read More Article…

You have successfully subscribed to the newsletter

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

World News Today will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.