All you need to know to book jungle safari at India’s Jim Corbett National Park, first Project Tiger.
Jim Corbett National Park situated in Nainital district of Uttarakhand has the beautiful landscape of Corbett famous for its tiger richness. It was established in the year 1936 as Hailey National Park and is India’s oldest and most prestigious National Park.
The famous Project Tiger was first launched in Jim Corbett in 1973. It is spread over an area of 520 square kilometres, which consists of hills, marshy depressions, riverine belts, grasslands and a large lake.
Jim Corbett National Park is among the few tiger reserves in India which allow you to stay overnight and experience life in the middle of a National Park. There are two options for wildlife viewing — one on a four-wheeler jeep and the other on the back of an elephant.
The national park is one of the most sought-after destinations for the wildlife buffs as it shelters a healthy population of tigers and rare species like Otters and the endemic fish eating the crocodile.
If bird watching is something that intrigues you, then Corbett is a virtual haven for you. Jim Corbett National Park and its adjoining area consists of more than 650 species of residents and migratory birds. Dhikala is a fine place to look for birds of prey.
This is the finest national park of India and is well recognized for a rich variety of wildlife including royal Bengal tiger, elephant, four to five species of deer and rich birdlife.
Categories in Jim Corbett National Park
Corbett National Park has been divided into five tourism zones.
- Bijrani Safari Zone
- Jhirna Safari Zone
- Dhela Safari Zone
- Dhikala Zone
- Durga Devi Zone
- Sitabani Buffer Zone
If you are planning to visit Jim Corbett, you can book online Jeep Safari or Canter Safari for five different zones of the park namely Bijrani, Jhirna, Dhikala, Dhela and Durgadevi.
Safari Booking at Corbett is managed by the forest officials as per the guidelines of India’s forest department. Everything is controlled by the automated computerized system and is not in the hands of any private individuals to ensure the even distribution of safari vehicles in respective zones.
Given below are the complete details for booking a jungle safari at Jim Corbett as learned from a park official. The price includes jeep, driver, prermit, guide charges and service charge.
What is the price of a Jeep Safari booking at Jim Corbett?
If you are an Indian national, then you need to pay Rs 4500/Jeep (around $65). Maximum 6 Persons & 2 children, (b/w – 5 to 12 years) are allowed in one Jeep.
If you are a foreign national, then you need to pay Rs 9000/Jeep (around $130). Maximum 6 Persons & 2 children (b/w – 5 to 12 years) are allowed in one Jeep.
What are the timings of Jim Corbett Jungle Safari?
- Morning 6:00 AM – 9.30 AM
- Evening 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Safari timing varies as season changes.
What is the advance booking procedure for Jim Corbett?
For booking request, you need to provide the following details:
The full name, age, sex of each visitor the same as printed on the identity cards to be provided along with the confirmatory amount.
- Preferred travelling date & safari timing (Morning/Afternoon).
- The specific ID card number of your ( Voter Id, Aaadhar no, driving license no, etc).
- Safari entry fee paid in advance.
- E-permits are non-refundable if a permit is booked/confirmed.
- Please carry the same ID card submitted during the online booking.
- Indian nationals need to make a booking 45 days in advance (jungle safari can be booked a week or a day before also, but it depends entirely upon the availability).
- Foreign nationals need to make a booking 90 days in advance.
- It is mandatory for the foreign nationals to give the passport details for making a reservation.
- However, the safari permit is issued on first come first serve basis (subject to availability).
- It is mandatory to obtain entry permits that are being issued online (by producing above mentioned documents).
Note: If you could not book a wildlife safari due to reasons such as technical error or non-availability of the seat, there is no need to worry as the whole amount will get refunded in your given bank account.
Some important things you need to know when heading to book Jim Corbett safari
- It is not allowed to enter the National Park after sunset.
- The entry permit to the Jim Corbett National Park is provisional and can be changed or even cancelled without prior information.
- The tourists who are staying inside the forest lodges can visit Dhikala Tourism zone.
- Night stay permit is issued by forest authorities for stay at forest lodges, which will open from November 15.
- As the forest officials do not allow outsiders to visit Dhikala Tourism zone, therefore you need to make a booking at forest lodges to experience this zone.
Permits for Jim Corbett National Park
As the entire territory of the Jim Corbett National park falls under a restricted and protected area, you need to acquire official permission in order to visit the core area of the tiger territory. There are two types of official permits issued by the government for entering into any safari zone of the park.
- Day visit permit (for jeep/canter safari) and permits for night stay inside the government forest lodges.
- The day visit permits are required by Indian nationals as well as foreigners for entering into any tourism zone in Corbett National Park.
- It is possible to accommodate inside the park after obtaining a night stay permit that is issued by issuing authorities of government officials.
- Visitors can make a booking for 1 night and maximum for 3 nights only.
Read More Article…